Tuesday, November 10, 2009

indigo and onion skins




I seem to be in a natural dye mood. I purchased the indigo at Maryland this spring. The summer got away from me and all of a sudden I decided it had to be done before cold weather and snow set in. We did the first pot last Wednesday at the knit gathering. It was so amazing to see the oxidation. It was a first for many of us.










It has been busy around here and I didn't get back to it until today. If you know me you know that I am not about to throw out perfectly good dye, so I threw some sock yarn yarn into the pot. It seems I should have done the second pot right away. The yarn is blochey, I think because the dye pot sat around for nearly a week. Maybe not, any ideas?
The yellow yarn is from onion skins. For the longest time I could not seem to get a nice yellow with the lanacet dye that I normally use. This is what I had been looking for along.

Maybe some of you can help, what should I have done to exhast the rest of the dye?




Last night was the first knit nite!! We toasted the beginning of this new yarn shop adventure of mine.



Join us Wednesday 11am to 3 pm for the daytime gathering of knitters and spinners.

No comments: